Sealed with a kiss!

Sealed with a kiss!
Laura & Chris' Wedding at JCRaulston Arboretum

Thursday, December 10, 2009

ISES, NACE, TBA Holiday Mixer at Crabtree Marriott!


On December 8th, three wedding industry organizations collaborated to produce a fund-raiser Holiday Mixer at the Crabtree Marriott Hotel. It also happened to be my birthday--how nice of them to throw a party for me! NACE is National Association of Catering Executives, ISES is an association of event planners, DJs and others in the entertainment business, and TBA is Triangle Bridal Association.  
The theme this year was a Dr. Seuss Christmas in Whoville. It was adorable and so cleverly executed. The clever invitation by Carol Klenke of Classic Party Rentals read:

Last night I lay sleeping all tucked in my bed
When the Who's down in Who-Ville popped in my head
GET UP! GET UP! They started to shout
The Holiday Mixer-it's coming and we JUST found out!
It's coming to Raleigh, quite soon we hear
It's such a success, it's in its third year
ISES, NACE and the TBA
together again for the big day
Toys for Tots will be there at the door
So stop what you're doing and get to the store
A gift for a child who might not have one
It's easy to bring and you just might have fun
DO IT! DO IT! Do what I say!
Click on the link and sign up today!
It's quick, it's easy, we've made it a cinch
Anyone can do it, EVEN a Grinch!



I do not remember the name of the gal with the Dr. Suess hat on but the lovely lady in the photo below on the right is Megan Brewer of the Renaissance Inn at North Hills where I love to do weddings. I also have the great honor to be officiating Megan's wedding in May.



 
Here are Lenny Fritts of Touch of Class DJ and Sarah March Litty  with Paperwhites Press in Chapel Hill.
 
I was delighted to see Marc Dabagian from Sisters' Garden and Catering, another great wedding venue. Marc and I have formed a mutual admiration society and love doing weddings together.
One of my favorite photographers, Brian Mullins, was partying tonight. He and Devon Schwartz from the Hilton RTP were busy filling their plates with the delicious food at the party when I stopped to snap this.
On the right here is another wonderful photographer, Bianca Palmer of A Moment Like This Photography. Her baby is due in January and she looks like she is ready to pop now! Her husband, fellow photographer and business partner, Seth, was home babysitting. On the left is another photographer, James Walters of Walters and Walters Photography.


This handsome guy is my wonderful husband, Dave Davenport. He is such a sweetie to go with me to events like this. He also subs as my roadie at weddings to take pictures. He grabbed the camera from me a few times this evening to get some shots of me, especially when I won a funny door prize that  had some stringent requirements.
 
I managed to catch Ryan Pflumm off guard for only one time this evening! He was all over the place, especially the dance floor. Not only is he a great DJ with Island Sound, but the man can DANCE! He is probably 6'6" at least and head and shoulders above the crowd. You rock, Ryan!
To get this photo, I interrupted an animated conversation between Ami Wheeler of The Umstead (one of my favorite venues and directors!) and renowned wedding photographer, Neil Boyd. It is so much fun to be on this side of the camera for a change, especially taking photos of the photographers who are usually shooting me at a wedding!

These are the Marines who were on hand to receive our donation of Toys for Tots. Handsome bunch of guys, agree?? I think they were having a good time too.

Donna Parks of Southern Bride & Groom was talking with Tim Oxendine of Blue Diamond Limos and Diamond DJ services. I think Tim invited a bunch of us to another holiday party later in the month.



Diane Tighe is in thoughtful conversation with someone here! She is so wonderful. We have worked weddings together for 11 years at the Washington-Duke Inn. She actually helps brides choreograph their processionals if they want something unusual and spectacular for their weddings. We have done some great weddings together. Great to see you Diane and you look spectacular in RED!
Our DJs and lighting experts for the evening were Jeff Simpson of Simpsound and Rick Bryda (not pictured) of Total Production Services, Inc. 


These lovely ladies are from left to right are Michele Allred of Triangle Catering and The Cotton Room, Alison and Julie of the wonderful Carolina Inn, another favorite venue for weddings.

Kevin Seifert, wedding photographer, got into the dancing once in a while! Go, Kevin! To the left you can see Ryan Pflumm and Joy Edwards (A Joyful Occasion) dancing. 
Brian Mullins again, and this time with his beautiful wife, Ginger, who is a professional make up and hair artist that I see at a lot of weddings. She makes the brides (and bridesmaids) beautiful and Brian photographs them! 

Next came the second set of door prizes. Tracy Adams of Adams and Events was our door prize MC. She called my number and I dashed up to the dance floor and was greeted by Peter Krumenacker of Island Sound DJs with a large polka dotted bag. Inside was a springy Dr. Seuss style Santa hat that was made for someone with a very large head.  I had to hold it on with one hand.


Then he handed me a tubular box to open that  had mistletoe glued to one end inside with a note to "Quickly kiss someone under the mistletoe!" Whoa....where was my husband? I could not see him but a cowboy jumped out from the audience lining the edge of the dance floor so I kissed him! (Turns out my husband was diligently taking these photos all this time.)

 Because I passed that test, Peter told me to find what was in the bottom of the tubular box which was a giant green chocolate kiss! Wait, there is one more thing!


The grand prize was a gift certificate for dinner for two at McCormick and Schmick, the new seafood restaurant at Crabtree Mall. Hey, it was all worth it! Scott Faber just posted a photo of me he took on Facebook with the silly hat on.



A good fit on my husband, Dave, and with a handy saftey pin taking a tuck, it fit me!

There were many more folks there that I did not get photos of. Jennifer Kidd of Kidd Photography just about burned up the dance floor! Tesh Parekh was busy painting a picture of the party. He is great and promised to send me a photo of his finished painting. Ashlee Adams from The Sutherland was there having a good time. It was good to see Gail Stephenson from Premiere Catering again. There are many more photos of the party by Scott Fabor on FaceBook. Go take a look.

What a great party. Thanks for all who made this possible. I understand that $1,000 was raised for Toys for Tots in addition to all the toys each guest brought. Looking forward to next year. Joe Bunn, I hope you can be there then. Unfortunately Joe was unable to come due to a family gathering that evening.

No comments: