All Social Security offices are now closed and services are being handled online and by mail. Below is a summary of the new process to change your name after marriage. If both spouses wish to change their names, they must each follow this process individually. Hyphenating last names requires that you go through this process.
To change your name after marriage, you will need to get a few Certificates of Marriage from the County Register of Deeds that issued your marriage license. They are $10 each. Some counties allow ordering online but others you must request by mail or go in person. I recommend you get 3 or 4.
To change your name on legal documents, you must start first with the Social Security name change and get a replacement card with your new name on it. Only after you have received your new card can you then go to DMV and get your name changed on your license because DMV and SSA share the same name system. For Passport you can go ahead and get started on that after mailing your application to SS. Any changes on licenses that are required for your work, go ahead and send a Certificate of Marriage to the licensing board.
Until further notice, all the Social Security offices are closed and all the name changes are done by mail. Here is the procedure to change your name on SS card:
1. Download form SS-5 from SSA.gov website. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf
2. Fill it out. Item 1, line 1 should be the new name you want to be on your new SS card. Line 2 shows your former/maiden name, line 3 for any other names you have used.
3. Not necessary to fill out Items 9 and 10, the information about your mother and father.
4. Don’t forget to sign it! (Make a photocopy for your records)
5. Supporting documents: It would be a good idea to photocopy your driver’s license or birth certificate as an additional identifying document but not absolutely necessary since the marriage certificate has a lot of information on it and has always been sufficient in the past.
6. Mail the completed SS-5, an original Certificate of Marriage (photocopy not acceptable), any other ID you are submitting, in Wake County mail to: 4701 Old Wake Forest Road, Raleigh NC 27609.
7. It may take anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks to get your new card. They will return your original Certificate of Marriage
8. When you get your new SS card, you can go to DMV and change your name on your driver’s license. Take an original Certificate of Marriage with you. They are paperless and won’t keep it but they have to see it.
To change your name on your passport follow these guidelines: https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/passport-name-change.html You will send in an original Certificate of Marriage with your application, new photo if required, current passport, check for fee. It takes 6 to 8 weeks unless you pay to expedite it.
Once you have started the name change process, you must follow through because if you travel by plane or cruise, all your ID must match. If you are going on a honeymoon right after your wedding, make sure all reservations are in your maiden/current name because you will not have time to start the name change process until after you return home.