Sealed with a kiss!

Sealed with a kiss!
Laura & Chris' Wedding at JCRaulston Arboretum

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Sarah and Jason Wed at Duke Chapel on September 1, 2018!!

Sarah and Jason met while they were students at Duke University. When they were informed of the last minute availability of the historic Duke Chapel for September 1, 2018, they jumped at the chance. Their wedding planner, Casey with Events by La Fete, referred them to me and we got to work on the ceremony.
Their wedding day was one with sudden showers and clouds overhead. 
Their photographer, Theo Milo, got some great shots of the wedding party before the ceremony. On the left are their mothers, Kathy and Janis, watching the activities.
Dave and I arrived with umbrellas in hand in case it was raining when we left. Thankfully it was not.
I stopped to chat with Sarah. She looked so beautiful in that gorgeous wedding gown. It fit her so well.
The bridesmaids were dressed in shades of champagne in dresses of their own choice. Kathy was enjoying visiting with her daughter's girlfriends all assembled in one place for the wedding!
Talking with the sound guy at the chapel. My mic fits into their body pack and we did a sound check. I decided to wear black with a white prayer stole for this wedding since beiges are not in my wardrobe. I wanted something a little different so I made this kimono and put a little bling around the hem and sleeves--it had to be sewn on by hand and it took me hours! But it was worth it. 
The chapel is so stunning!
Securing the boutonniere of one of the groomsmen. 
A pow wow with Blanche Williams who is in charge of weddings at the chapel. Her assistant Chris is behind her. Our groom, Jason on right. The discussion is about the Anniversary Box and loveletters which were carried by their cousins Harry and Maggie.
Then the guys and I adjourned to the lower level under the chapel to wait for the guests to arrive. The girls joined us later on. (Now--I learned something at this wedding. When I arrived and saw that Jason had no socks on I found out that he had not forgotten them but chose to go sockless with the velvet slippers he was wearing. One of the groomsmen decided to follow suit. Apparently it is a trend in men's fashion to not wear socks. Also trendy for the past few years is the peg-leg (narrow) pants. Jason was right in style!)
Chris came and led the guys and me up to the vestibule on the side of the chapel from which we would enter and take our places. The bride and her bridesmaids were taken around to the front of the chapel from where they would process in. New was a video screen where we could watch the guests entering and the parents of the groom being seated.
Then it was our turn to enter and take our places. 
The bridesmaids processed in and took their places. Sarah's brother, Dylan, was her Man of Honor so he entered with us rather than process down the aisle!
The chapel organist began Pachelbel's Canon in D for the procession of the bride and I invited our guests to stand. 
Sarah and her mother made their way down the very long aisle as their guests turned and watched them. 
At the end of the aisle Kathy placed Sarah's hand in Jason's hand and she and the guests were seated as we ascended the steps to the altar for the ceremony. Then Jason raised the blusher veil that Sarah was wearing and they joined hands.
(The photos in this post were taken with my iPhone. The light level in the chapel is not the best for non-flash photography and the chapel does not allow photographers to get any closer than the first pillar. The professional photographers have their long lenses and can get good photos but mine are fuzzy!)
After I welcomed everyone, we had an opening blessing followed by the lighting of the memorial candle by Sarah's Aunt Kim.
Then I stepped out to the side of the couple and delivered a tribute to their parents from their children. 
Their story came next! They have been together 12 years and have survived moves to New York then to Charlotte, Sarah's career change, adopting their great dane, Ruby, and buying their first house.
Then I revealed to them what the other had told me in confidence--what they love about them, why they want to marry and what they are looking forward to in marriage.
The vows came next. They chose traditional vows repeated after me line by line. 
Then it was time for the ring exchange. 
Jason placed the ring on Sarah's finger and said a few lines after me. 
Sarah placed the ring on Jason's finger as she said her ring vows to him. After the rings they placed their loveletters into the Anniversary Box followed by a closing blessing and the pronouncement of marriage. (Wish I had photos of this but they were just too blurry!)
Had to put in a photo of the kiss though! I am sure this guest got a much better shot with his phone! 
I presented the newlywed couple to their guests and out they went cheering all the way! 
Jason's parents, Janis and Jim, recess and circle back for photos while the guests traveled to The Cotton Room for the reception.
There is a ritual at Duke Chapel following the ceremony for the signing of the "big book" where all weddings in the chapel are recorded, then the marriage license by the witnesses. Sarah and Jason are thrilled to add their names.
After hearing that the hem of Janis' dress had caught on her shoe and torn, I got out my little sewing kit and sewed the hem back onto the body of the dress so she could dance at the reception! I rarely need my sewing kit but it sure comes in handy when needed. So glad I had it.
Sarah and Jason! Congratulations! A great wedding that came together perfectly. So happy you chose me to officiate for you, worked with me to get your ceremony just right, and got you two hitched! I wish you all the best!!




No comments: