Sealed with a kiss!

Sealed with a kiss!
Laura & Chris' Wedding at JCRaulston Arboretum

Thursday, November 27, 2014

After 25 Years Together, Michael and James Make Their Marriage Legal!!

Michael called me one day a few weeks ago to see if I could marry him and his partner. Of course! (This would be the first LEGAL same-sex wedding for me to officiate so I was thrilled. I have done many "holy unions" and commitment ceremonies for same-gender couples and always regretted that those partnerships were not recognized by the State.) Shall we meet and talk about where and when and what you want in your ceremony? Yes, we want to see your garden and talk about our ceremony. They came to see me on November the 8th and liked the garden so we set the date of November 22nd at 3:00 for their wedding day. We discussed what they wanted in their ceremony and I sent them a proposed ceremony to edit. The big day arrived and they came bearing a beautiful spray of fall flowers to hang on the arbor. Mel had told them to say Hi to me and so I knew that they had gotten the flowers from Dogwood Tree Floral Designs! Thanks, Mel!
The day was a bit nippy but bright and sunny. Flanked by their siblings and their spouses and a friend of James' from work who was taking photos, we began. Not only was the occasion special for Michael and James, it was landmark day for all three of us standing up front.
After a welcome to our guests we remembered James' parents who are no longer living and Michael's mother who was unable to make the trip from Kentucky.
 James got a little teary-eyed at this point and so I dabbed the tears from his cheeks. 
James and Michael met 25 years ago and have been together ever since. Their relationship has stood the test of time. Theirs is not just a relationship, it is the intertwining of their two life stories. They are individuals yet their souls intermingle and continuously draw them together into the dance of companionship. 
These rings are symbols of the unbroken circle of love......
 "With this ring I marry you and pledge my heart to you..."
"James and Michael, by the love that has brought you here today, by the vows you have exchanged, and by the integrity of your commitment, I now pronounce you equal partners joined in marriage!"
 I don't know if this was before or after the kiss! (It was a very brief kiss!) Hey, guys, it's legal now!!
 We are married!! Let it sink in! 
 James and Michael with James' sister Betty.
 James' brother Stephan signs the marriage license.
 Michael's sister Patty signs as the other witness.
 Congratulations, James and Michael! I am so happy for you! I wish you the best of everything! 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To contact me:
919-345-4608
Or leave a comment below!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments: