Sealed with a kiss!

Sealed with a kiss!
Laura & Chris' Wedding at JCRaulston Arboretum

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Fabulous Wedding for Katherine and Jeff on May 30, 2009!

When Katherine called me the end of March of this year to see if I was available to officiate their wedding at the Matthews House in Cary a couple of months later on May 30, 2009 at 5:00, I checked my calendar and told her I already had a wedding at the same time and the same place that day! How could that be? We got on a 3-way conversation with Nina Davis of the Matthews House to find out what was going on! She told us that the couple I had on my calendar had canceled their wedding there the day before! They had not notified me and so I did not know what was going on with them--had they split up, postponed or just broken our contract? I got in touch with them and found out that due to some economic circumstances they had canceled their contract with the Matthews House but hoped to find another place for the same date and time. At that late date (April 4th), I was pretty sure they would not be able to do that and would have to pick another date. So, I met with Katherine and Jeff and they booked me for their wedding that date. A few days later the other couple notified me that they had decided to use a family farm in Chapel Hill for their wedding site and wanted to find out if I was available for a date in October. Thankfully I was, so all was well!

Katherine and Jeff and I worked fast to get their ceremony written and finalized. They were busy booking all their vendors and getting ready for the big day. They went first class! They hired Ferdy Neubauer for their photographer, Reta and Meredith Kohari--a mother/daughter wedding planning team known as French 75, Sweet Memories for their wedding cake, Arioso Strings for the ceremony music and Jerry Thompson of Joe Bunn DJ for the reception. What a fabulous team they put together! Unfortunately I did not find out who did the flowers but they were very pretty.

We had their rehearsal the afternoon before the big day and got all the logistics of the processional, ceremony and recessional worked out. Katherine and Jeff had their hearts set on the Unity Candle ceremony even though their wedding was outdoors and keeping candles lit can be a challenge if there is any wind. The weather looked good for the wedding day and they had extra candles in votives to use if there was any wind. They sure were thorough and thought of everything. We even had two long-handled butane lighters stashed nearby just in case and when Katherine processed in, she was carrying a small Bic lighter nestled next to her bouquet. I discovered that she was holding it all that time when they were about to exchange rings and I relieved her of it and stuck it in my pocket! Amazingly, their candles stayed lit the whole ceremony--there is even a photo here of the candles still burning after the ceremony to prove it. I think this is a very good sign for the success of their future together!

Anyway the big wedding day arrived with spectacular weather. Maybe a little warm to the guys in jackets but nothing like a blazing hot summer day! Marty and I set up my sound system and did a sound check and we were ready. Jeff was a bit nervous so I tried to calm him down and he read over his vows in my book. If the bride and groom aren't a bit nervous, I get worried! Being nervous on your wedding day is natural and to be expected. So is being emotional and that is why I always tuck a hankie in my ceremony book to whip out if needed during the ceremony. But, nervousness aside, they both were very happy to be marrying surrounded by their families and friends.

Katherine was beaming as she and her father, Tom, floated down the aisle--and Jeff was beaming back at her. The wedding ceremony went without a glitch, thanks to Reta and Meredith. Katherine and Jeff were married and it was time to celebrate. They went off for a few moments for some private time and Marty snapped a great photo of them. Their guests gathered with the wedding party for a group photo under the balcony at the front of the house then went inside for refreshments. Marty got a photo of me with the couple and their photographer who is usually behind the camera. Gotcha, Ferdy!

After three weddings that day, Marty and I were ready to head back home to unload, pick up my husband, Dave, and get some dinner! Katherine and Jeff wanted us to stay for the reception and eat there but as I told them--if I went to all the receptions, I would weigh 400 pounds by now! So we packed up and scooted back to N. Raleigh.

Katherine and Jeff, all the best to you! I know you are so happy! You are a great couple and I really enjoyed working with you to make your dream wedding come true!

2 comments:

Mary Page Block said...

Hi kayelily... wonderful wedding again!

Raleigh Wedding Blog said...

I received this note from Katherine and Jeff on July 7th:

Kayelily-

Hope you are well and enjoying the summer. Many thanks for the wonderful wedding service. We appreciate your guidance and knowledge of this process. In addition, we really appreciate the great wedding blog--we emailed our friends and family within a day or so. The write up was very cute. Once again, many thanks!

Katherine and Jeff