Sealed with a kiss!

Sealed with a kiss!
Laura & Chris' Wedding at JCRaulston Arboretum

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Katie and Jon's Sweet Wedding at The Meadows at Firefly Farm

Katie and Jon planned their wedding for Monday afternoon at a beautiful new venue in Raleigh: The Meadows at Firefly Farm. The owners bought up this beautiful farm and surrounding acres for the purpose of keeping it natural and undeveloped. I admire them for this preservation of natural landscape. If you get a chance to visit and be toured around, it is quite impressive!

Monday October 29, 2108 was a beautiful day for a wedding!
This archway of natural material was the entrance to the ceremony space in the forest. 
Look at this sweet spot! Huge logs were the benches for the guests who were beginning to gather. 
Our photographer, Alex Lassiter of A&A Wedding Photography, was getting some shots of our music-makers, The Grit Lickers
The "altar" was a huge circle of intertwined limbs decorated with greenery, flowers and a fabric drape which kept getting rearranged by the wind.  Every Bloomin' Thing was the florist.
The guests are waiting for the ceremony to begin while Jon and I gathered with Kelly Joy, our wedding director, in the house next to the glen.
She gave us the signal to enter and we took our places. There was no wedding party other than the three of us. Jon and Katie wanted their wedding to be simple and sweet. And it was.
I invited the guests to stand as Katie began her long walk down the aisle. Jon left my side and began walking toward her to meet halfway.
And so they make their way down as the guests watch them come together into marriage. 
They faced each other and held hands centered in front of me as I invited the guests to be seated. 
What a lovely setting for an small intimate wedding! 
I welcomed everyone and thanked them for being with us. 
I stepped out to the side and paid tribute to Jon's parents who were on the first bench. Then launched into a reading of Captain Corelli's Mandolin that reflects the couple's beliefs about love and marriage.
Jon and Katie love the ee cumming poem of I Carry Your Heart and so they alternately read lines of the poem to each other from my book where it was printed facing them.
I gave a brief synopsis of their meeting and falling in love then it was time for the handfasting ritual. 
I took the cord from around my shoulders and began wrapping it around their joined left hands then asked them to join their right hands forming the symbol of infinity.
Some tears slipped out of Katie's eyes so I blotted them with my hankie.  
Then while their hands were bound they read their vows to each other where they were printed in my book. Then I removed the cord and they placed their rings on each other's finger which are symbols of the cord. 
After a closing blessing it was time for the pronouncement of marriage. 
I was so happy to declare that they are now husband and wife. 
Their first kiss as a married couple! Everyone was cheering them on! 
The guests stood in their honor as I presented them for the first time as husband and wife. 
And they step into the next chapter of their lives--marriage!
It was such a pretty day and the wind had died down enough to stop blowing my hair in my face! 
Jon and Katie! What a pleasure to know you and an honor to join you in marriage. Your hearts are truly melded into that wonderful spirit of sweet love. I know you are so happy to be together forever!

No comments: