Sealed with a kiss!

Sealed with a kiss!
Laura & Chris' Wedding at JCRaulston Arboretum

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Wonderful Winter Wedding for CJ and Justin!

CJ (short for Caroline Judith) found me on The Knot and called me on 8/13/09 to see if I was available for her wedding date of January 2, 2010. We chatted and decided that since she and Justin, her fiance, lived in Boston, that I would meet with her parents to discuss my services and get to know each other a bit. Her parents, Susan and Gerald, live in Morehead City and it just so happened that my husband and I were going on vacation at Atlantic Beach nearby the following week. So we made all the arrangements and met one afternoon at the beach. I enjoyed meeting with Gerald and Susan and they reported back to CJ and Justin what they thought of me. Apparently I made a good impression because CJ and Justin decided to hire me as their wedding officiant and we got the contract signed and my fee paid quickly.

Then we began the process of creating their special ceremony via email. They really loved the idea of including their "story" in their wedding ceremony. CJ and Justin told me how and when they met, what first attracted them to each other and what they love most about each other, what they look forward to in marriage, what marriage means to them, and shared some of their cute stories and adventures with me. I took their material and crafted it into a running history of CJ and Justin and with their editing and approval, we had the bulk of their ceremony completed. All three of us loved it. It also included some great humor that I knew the guests would enjoy and I really looked forward to delivering the ceremony.  I love hearing the stories of couples and passing it on to their guests. I find the guests love it too and are in rapt attention throughout the ceremony.

CJ and Justin and I met face to face for the first time on December 22nd when they got back to NC for the holidays. We went over the logistics of our ceremony since we were having the rehearsal at a site different from the ceremony venue of the Carolina Club--the UNC Alumni Center. Both the bride and groom are UNC grads and of course this was the perfect setting for them. I had gone by there the week before (the day it snowed!) and met Sallie Sullivan, the events coordinator, and took a good look at the ceremony venue and how it would be set up for the wedding. Sallie was great and gave me a grand tour. I look forward to doing more weddings there! Finally the big day arrived! It was rather chilly with a wind chill factor down in the teens but it was warm and cozy in the Carolina Club and this beautiful wedding began.


After the grandparents, parents, groom, best man and the attendants and I entered, it was time for CJ and her father, Gerald, to make their grand entrance and float down the aisle. Here our photographer, Elizabeth Burgess, has them turn briefly and face her for a great photo.

There were about 140 guests filling this beautifully appointed and richly decorated room. There was a trellis with a floral arrangement on top and a huge fern on each side flanked by the candelabras which you cannot see from here.

A friend of theirs, Melissa Bennett, on the left here, sang a Beatles tune "In my Life" which is a favorite of CJ and Justin's and they were almost singing along with her! She was accompanied by their friend Jeffrey Danielson on keyboard. 

This is an amazing photo because the professional photographer's flash went off at the same time as mine and we got fantastic illumination of the moment I am making the pronouncement of marriage. (You can click on any of these photos and get a larger image.)

It's done! They're married!

The bride and groom and wedding party and parents and grandparents all exited to a private room while the guests went on to the reception. Then we went back into the ceremony room for photos. Here I am talking with Cindy and David, Justin's parents, holding hands, and Susan, CJ's mom. Their kids have been together since high school and they were all so thrilled with this marriage and this wedding ceremony.


Congratulations to the new "Missus!" She is really radiant! I believe all her expectations were met and she is so thrilled. No fussy babies or misbehaving children! On the left is one of our bridesmaids, Sandra, and on the right behind us is Justin's brother, Jake.

The beaming newlyweds. It's off to Jamaica in the morning! Do you think we have a Carolina Blue theme going on here? Just you wait and see!

Just look at that gorgeous wedding gown. It was encrusted with sparkles and beads and was pretty heavy. Once the train was in place, it hardly moved!

See what I mean? Carolina Blue everywhere and a UNC monogram on the glasses. This lovely cake was created by Ronald Johnson of UNC Alumni Club Catering. Our florist was Charles House of University Florist. Our capable photographer was Elizabeth Burgess of Burgess Photography and her assistant was Laurence Lynn with whom I have worked many weddings. What a team they make! I know CJ and Justin will have some fabulous photos of their special day. The make up artist was Jenny Raele of Make-up Art by Jenny.


Our DJ for the reception who also provided the sound for my microphone during the ceremony was Ken Holmes with Joe Bunn DJ Company. It was great to work with Ken again. Cindy Shuford, family friend, did a superb job of directing the wedding.  Thank you, Cindy! Sorry that the photo Marty took of us was not good enough to use--my camera was misbehaving!  

CJ and Justin, you are a wonderful couple and I know you will be very happy together and continue to live life to the fullest! You have such a bright and beautiful outlook on life and your future. I hope you will keep in touch! Have a great honeymoon in Jamaica!

1 comment:

Raleigh Wedding Blog said...

This week I received a note from CJ's mother, Susan, and one from CJ and Justin.

"Dear Kayelily,

You were awesome! The ceremony was perfect & we can't thank you enough. CJ and Justin were so happy with the whole day, but especially their marriage ceremony. You took their story & told it to all of us & it was just beautiful. Thank you for everything!

Love, Susan

PS: Look us up when you come to the beach!" (They live in Morehead City and my husband and I enjoy going to the Atlantis Lodge nearby.)

From the couple:

"Hi, Kayelily!
Thank you so much for our beautiful ceremony! We loved it and we got a TON of comments from our guests about how nice it was and how personal it was. We even had several unmarried friends ask for your site, which we gladly passed along. It was so wonderful for us that you were a part of our day. Thanks! CJ and Justin"